Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A belated birthday

So, last month was my bestie's birthday. Being the slacker that I am she did not get a gift from me on said birthday. Not for my lack of wanting though, I wanted to make her something and it needed to be something that she NEEDED and would use. Alas, I was stumped.
This is us on Mother's day

 Sure, I have made her things. When I was making all those coin purses she got one. I made her a purse for Mother's day. She does not use said purse. Just sayin. I really wanted this gift to be meaningful. I bought fabric that she was eyeballing with the intent to make her another purse. But then I thought about the first one and did not want to make her something she would not use.

She has been interested in my sewing projects and wanted to try but she was afraid she would be no good. Last week she found a machine she really liked on Craigslist. She talked to the owner and he traded her straight across for an old dressmaker she had. So..she started to sew. She went straight to the patterns and made her son a pair of boxers and a pencil pouch. The pouch was without a pattern. The other day when we were at our other house Joann's she found a pajama pattern and some material to make for her daughter. 

I know, it seems as though I have no point but I do. I had been listening to her tell me about her notions and how she is cutting her patterns and everything else while still trying to come up with a gift idea. 

Well, today was the day. I was checking my email this morning and popped in my blog reader. The Little birdie baby blog had a cool post about making a pin cushion. That was it! My bff did not own a pin cushion! So, I printed off the pattern and got to work. This is what I ended up with:


I don't think it is as pretty as Rachael's but it will work. It did not take me long to sew and now I have a pattern that I like for a pin cushion.

Thank you Rachael, for a great tutorial and the inspiration to finally finish my bestie's birthday gift. I am sure she thanks you too.

Linking to some or all of the parties on my sidebar.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is very cute! Yours looks just as good as Rachel's!
Visiting back from Tater Tots & Jello! Oh, and I might get some of those cabochon molds. Looks like fun!

Rachael @ The Little Birdie said...

OOHHH!! I LOVE the fabrics you chose, and the button embellishment is perfect! It is definitely cuter than mine. I can't wait to show you off on the blog next week! :)

I hope your bestie knows how lucky she is to have a sweet friend like you!

XOXO

Sandra Appling said...

What an adorable pin cushion! I'm always looking for cute ideas for pin cushions that are unique!

Post a Comment