Saturday, March 19, 2011

A super awesome sunburst mirror

These are all the rage right now. I just had to have one. I am NOT going to spend $50 or $70 or $400 on one. So when I found this tutorial I knew I could make it myself.
http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2009/08/starburst-mirror/
I liked this one a lot but I changes some things up.
I used a wood base and spray pained it a silvery color. I used dowel rods of 2 different sizes instead of skewers and I painted those too.
I bought all but one package of small round mirrors at Jo-Anns. I used 3 different sizes, they were only about $.99 each.
I used hot glue because hot glue is cool. Hot when you touch it before it dries though. I randomly placed the mirrors and glued them down.
When I was done with all that I found a round wood disc that was super thin and glued that to the back and added a picture hanger thingy (yes that is the technical term), and hung it on the dining room wall so it would not break.
Originally I was going to hang this in our bedroom, then I thought it was super pretty so I would put it in the living room. After I saw it in the dining room we decided to keep it there. My house is small so it kind of makes it bigger.
So, if you have been thinking of making one and think it is too hard, try it. Easy peasy and cheap too. I think I got all I needed for under $20.
By the way, I used a 5 inch piece of round wood for the base and the finished mirror is about 26 inches.

I am linked up to Tatertots and Jello weekend wrapup party here
Tatertots and Jello

6 comments:

Erin J. said...

That is amazing! So cute and what a steal do it yourself! I would love to see a picture of it in your living room!

Rachael @ The Little Birdie said...

This is SO beautiful!! I LOVE it!! Thank you so much for linking up at The Little Birdie! I hope you'll come by again tomorrow for a new linky party! :)

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

This reminds me of the Jetsons -- I loooooove it!!!! So modern and fun! =)

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Tanya said...

Thanks for the positive feedback:) I am lovin it

Sasha said...

This is my favorite thing that you've made. I can't wait to have one hanging in my apartment! You need to put some pics of the bitchin earrings you make!

Boden said...

Very nice! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!

Post a Comment